MAOP is continuously evolving to best serve the needs of the DOs in Maryland. With all the changes at the federal level, we are working to help osteopathic physicians remain relevant and continue to practice medicine in a meaningful way.
With the increasing burden of financial expenses and the decreasing number of new members and involvement, we find there is limited opportunity for growth.
Over the past two years our board has worked to improve the benefits of your membership. We have redesigned our website www.marylanddo.org which serves as a home to our members as well as a repository for information to patients searching for a DO.
We have advocated at the state level to keep DOs relevant and recognizable to our state legislators. We host a Legislative Reception in Annapolis every February so that our members can meet and mingle with representatives and senators and have a clearer understanding of what an osteopathic physician does and why his presence is important.
We have saved the DO seat on the Maryland Board of Physicians which was actively attacked in an attempt to remove it altogether, effectively deleting and depleting the relevance of DOs in the state.
We saved the future of DOs practicing in the state from being overlooked in BOP.
And now we look to 2014 as define our goals as follows:
- Continue to provide the best educational lectures locally on par with national organizations
- Provide education links through our membership exclusive website for consulting, practice management, products and networking
- Become a strong voice for state policies and procedures • Educate patients about the philosophy and benefits of Osteopathic physicians
- Create a mentor program for our physicians-in-training. Provide opportunities for them to shadow and rotate with DOs in the state
- Partner with appropriate people, organizations and entities to create synergies for more membership and membership involvement
We want you. We want your involvement. We want your energy and we want your support. The first step is renewing your MAOP membership for 2014 if you haven’t already.
Happy Holidays to everyone and I will be in touch.
Brian S. Kahan, DO President